This blogs intent is to provide a living journal of our experience raising our children on boats. Please ENJOY, COMMENT and SHARE!!!







Monday 31 October 2011

Trick or Treat

Yesterday I began the thought of where this post would go, I couldn't have been more wrong.
It started like this
Trick #1: Being up all night with first Marley who scrambled into our bed and then Jacob who was an early morning riser... thought I was going to lie in after that (see last post) but since Jacob didn't fall back asleep until 7:30am I convinced myself that since I was already up I would go to a spinning class at Sandys 360.
Trick #2: Get to Sandys 360 and the spinning class is canceled, the instructor is sick.  Still motivated I decide to workout on my own in the gym.... note to self ALWAYS have a charged i-pod in the car for moments like these! 50min. or self inflicted cardio without music is more like torture than a spinning class.
Trick #3: Always remember that if you run out of water on the boat don't then leave the water pump on! Yikes! Came back to a grumpy Mark having to do unnecessary work on the boat because I forgot the boat rules! Luckily he fixed it and I was able to shower after my work out.
Treat #1: Lazy boat day watching movies and carving pumpkins for tomorrow
Treat #2: Excited about the potential of support our fellow boaters have pledged to have candy aboard their boats so we can Trick or Treat tomorrow right in the marina! :) Boat people are such nice people!
Marley on any given day dressing up!
Well today couldn't have gone any further from those hopes!  Started off with Marley refusing to wear her costume (one of 4!) to school.  This is very unlike her, she LOVES to dress up all the time... apparently except on days when the rest of the world will be LOL I attempted that battle then quickly gave up.  Once we got to school as I predicted she saw the other kids in their costumes so she wanted hers, luckily prepared and she wore it for 5 min before I left!
Pick up went smoothly and it seemed on our drive home that the weather was going to cooperate and we would have a wonderful evening of Dockyard trick or treating.
However at 6pm all hell broke loose! I needed to run to the mini mart to get batteries for my camera and of-course that means taking everyone with me for the run.  I announced this to Marley earlier and she was fine with it but then when the time rolled round she threw a wobbly because she "didn't want Auntie Jacqui to see her without her costume on!" I tried to convince her that it was fine and she really needed a bath before we put her costume on but we didn't have time because the mini mart was closing but there was no rationalizing today.  I gave up on the batteries and settled for bath and an early dinner.  Marley screamed and cried through the whole routine! She rarely does this so my second reaction after frustration (which I realize gets us no where!) is humor.  I asked her if she could scream louder and promptly Jacob decided he was hungry NOW and chimed in with a challenging scream and attempted to keep up with his sisters crying while I prepared his formula.
Daddy came home and my girl was still at it.  By 7pm she had climbed into our bunk and was attempting sleep but still sobbing.  I tried cough medicine but that didn't work and after a bout of musical chairs opted for the children's pain relief as I think her sore throat was giving her a rough time, plus she kept grabbing her ear poor baby.  That knocked her down for about 20min.  In the mean time the heavens had opened and although Jacob was ready to go in his giraffe suit there was no way we were getting Marley out for trick or treating!
Jacob ready for his first Halloween
After a quiet 20 min at around 8:15 my girl is bouncing off the walls, feeling 90% better! Laughing cracking her usual jokes the whole nine.  Where did all this come from?!!
It didn't last too long especially once bed time was suggested and attempted. :( Not a peaceful sleep for anyone tonight.  Jacob just finished his feed and is about to doze which means I better catch it while its available myself! SLEEP!!!!!!
No treats tonight, only tricks from the rain gods and the sand man :(

No comments:

Post a Comment