This blogs intent is to provide a living journal of our experience raising our children on boats. Please ENJOY, COMMENT and SHARE!!!







Friday 28 October 2011

On being 'hard'

I often get a good reaction when I tell people we live on a boat.  I mean yes its not conventional but its not really all that different.  We have all the basic amenities but its funny as soon as people hear boat they can't get past the idea of wearing your bathing suit and packing a picnic basket.  We really are more civilized than that.
I am constantly explaining that we have everything 'you' have in your house.  Rooms- (Marley has her own bedroom and bathroom! Better than some kids her age), a kitchen with an oven and stove, a fridge, air-conditioning (all though Mark doesn't let me use it that often lol, T.V. (satellite if we wanted it), Internet, DVD player.... anything you can think of we have we just have it in a smaller space.
Once people get over that they still have in their minds how hard it must be.  A guy said to me yesterday while we were discussing where one might have to drive if he didn't move his taxi from the spot where it was blocking the regular road, "well you could drive your car over the grass and sidewalk there... you're hard you living in a boat and all".  I'm not really sure how my ability to drive is affected by living on a boat but in any-case I took it as a compliment.
Mark probably gets a lot more of these comments than me.  He is often accosted by people who think that he is 'making me' live on the boat with him and then tell him that I must be pretty incredible to survive living on a boat.  Haha... really its not that 'hard', I have everything everyone else has (even a flat screen TV for the first time ever!) and just a lot more stairs and small spaces than the average home.
The biggest challenge is not the actual boat its being able to get along with one another in such a small space.  There is no place to hide and sulk, you have to face your problems straight in the eye and to be honest I think that makes our relationship that much better because of it.
For everyone reading... not sure how many of you there are... can you please 'like' this or 'follow' this blog?! I mean really how I am going to get discovered if you are all reading in secret! LOL

2 comments:

  1. I'm reading, Jen. Can you write about how your children are going to grow up more 'in tune' with nature because they live on a floating home... By the way, you have some competitors out there in the boatblogging industry: www.weliveonaboat.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Abs, will try :) I know that guy! I was look at his boat to buy actually, I don't think he lives on his boat anymore though. They have a cool story.

    ReplyDelete