This blogs intent is to provide a living journal of our experience raising our children on boats. Please ENJOY, COMMENT and SHARE!!!







Wednesday 8 February 2012

Voyage Day 3

Last night after watch I slept like a rock.  The first time probably in more than 6 months! I enjoyed watch with the girls, it gave me a chance to catch up with them a little as I worked to keep them awake while logging the ships activities.  I remember doing watches with Adam and he would always have really interesting and knowledgable things to tell the kids.... we talked about their favorite show "100 ways to die"... I missed him.  After watch as soon as my head hit the pillow I was out! I didn't even wake to the rain and the kids having to do their watch right next to my bunk.  Mark was not so lucky as he told me this morning.... Jacob decided to stay up until 3am.  How lucky I am to have such an incredible man that can manage the two kids on his own.  I think they are enjoying their special time with daddy too, maybe thats why Jacob stayed up all night!
Today was switch over day and it was sad to see the girls go but exciting to have a new group of kids.  The Clearwater Boys have arrived from the island and they are more than grateful to be on the ship.  The weather had turned into rainy and miserable conditions with little wind so we didn't even get in a sail this morning.  After a thorough clean and then some lessons below deck we left anchor and arrived at Penno's Wharf before I knew what was happening. I suppose in the back of my mind I knew where we would be docking to pick up the boys but I hadn't actually thought about WHERE that would be.  It was the dock where we held Adam's service before we buried him at sea.  It was eire being on the dock.  A horrible feeling swept over me as I remembered the moments of boarding the Spirit that day going out to burry Adam of all people.  The battle within myself was put aside as we had to entertain the students on the dock as the chef had miscalculated timing and we had an extra hour before lunch.  We set up obstacle courses for them on the dock and got busy with that.
I'm anxious about the sail tomorrow and now that its on my mind how it will remind me of Adam's burial.  Usually when I am at sea I only remember him, not really the details of the events that followed his death.  This is tougher than I thought it would be because this is an unexpected memory.  I guess I had prepared myself for everything else.
The boys are active and eager enough that I think they will keep me occupied.  I lead the bow sprit activity this afternoon where they climb out the the bow sprit and they had me in stitches with their antics.  One boy literally crawled out and back! We will see what tomorrow bring... lights out.

No comments:

Post a Comment