This blogs intent is to provide a living journal of our experience raising our children on boats. Please ENJOY, COMMENT and SHARE!!!







Wednesday 4 January 2012

Gusty Goings!

Yesterday the gusts began again.  We are still yet to take down the bimini.  It is either ignorance or we are just hoping it really does rip away so we have to get a new one sooner than we are actually able! It picked up around mid day and through the night there were gusts up to 50 knots for sure.  The wind was howling and the boat was healing right over but the babies were sleeping.  No Mark and I did not take advantage of this ourselves to finally get an early night, instead we finished securing the boat and then settled in for a marathon run of t.v. (for us anyway) with Biggest Loser and Parenthood.  I love Parenthood because it makes me feel like a normal person however I wish it didn't come on so darn late because when Marley rose because of the wind at 3am and then Jacob at 4am I was not a supermom at all!
Marley at 1 month with Uncle Adam
on Alibi

What I have forgotten to mention was that yesterday was also Marley's 3rd birthday! I can not believe my little girl is a whole nother year older.  Mark and I spent all day saying "Three years ago today...." which isn't hard seeing as we were recounting a 25 hour labour and delivery! Still I held back tears all day thinking about what a big girl she is becoming.  She on the other hand was living it up.  Again this is the first year she actually understands the concept of her birthday (like Christmas) and is enjoying all the attention that comes with it.  We celebrated with a family dinner at Frong and Onion the night before and a few presents first thing in the morning over breakfast.  Which ment that she decided to read her new books and we were not ready in time for the ferry.  That was ok, it also ment we had to drive in which allowed me to give her, her first shout out on the radio for her birthday. The cool thing was we walk past the DJ for the radio sation on our regular walk to school so when I mentioned who we were he was really excited and played Marley's two favorites back to back; "Stir It Up" and "No Woman No Cry" from non other than the legend Bob Marley.  What an awesome birthday she had!

Marley 3 years old on Blew Horizon

The next day (today) the wind was even worse and they actually canceled the Dockyard ferry which ment driving in again.  I drove back to Blew Horizon and had the shock of my life!
There hanging in our dock lines (running from the stern of our boat to the dock) was our neighbour 3 boats down! His feet were on the dock, his head resting on our transom and his arms slung around our lines.  At first I wasn't sure if he was dead or alive as I ran down the ramp.  I shouted to him and he just asked calmly if I could help him up.  I was like *@!!L! SURE!!! I grabbed him and pulled him onto the dock.  He rested for a minuite and I asked him a few things about him and how he got into such a situation.  He was really calm about the whole thing and eased my worry about that he wasn't seriously injured.  I could not get him up to standing though, he was like dead weight trying to lift so I called Mark and asked him if he was nearby to come quick.  He in turn called the Dock Master who came and helped me get the poor old guy up and walked him with his cane to his boat.  It was all really disturbing and while most people are frightened that one of my children will fall overboard I am now far more concerned about the more likely event that we find this poor old man to have fallen overboard when no one is around! What if I hadn't happened to come home?! I am all for living your dream but you should also know your limitations.  It was really scary!

No comments:

Post a Comment