This blogs intent is to provide a living journal of our experience raising our children on boats. Please ENJOY, COMMENT and SHARE!!!







Wednesday 25 January 2012

Composting on a boat?

I'm starting to feel like i'm writing to myself and lately that has been a bit weird.  I think I need some good banter or at least a comment or two on here.  So i've decided to come up with a discussion topic for all.
My sister-in-law took Mark BUEI a few weekends ago. It was on "The Clean Bin Project".  http://cleanbinproject.com/ If you goggle it i'm sure you can find out more about it (or check out the link) but the basic idea was that this one couple spent a year focusing on making as little trash as possible.  A really cool concept when you think about it, and more than just the fad of living green.  The discussion after the film brought up the idea of composting which for me was a new lesson.  I had always learned how bad methane is for the environment but after hearing it over and over something in that movie made it click for me.  The food scraps that we put into our garbage and send to the incinerator is producing methane that is entering our precious Bermuda atmosphere! AHHH I am actually fairly good on the boat as most of our scraps go overboard but after seeing the film I am totally conscious every time I have scraps or leftovers that they go overboard and NEVER in the trash can!
I brought the idea of composting up with my parents as I remember as a child composting in our garden however it didn't last very long.  And like the rest of the land loving Bermudians there are some serious issues with composting in Bermuda because of the heat.  We compost at a faster rate because of it but it also causes terrible vermin problems that just make it unfeasible for most Bermudian house holds.  So my question is.... what would it take to get you to compost?
1) Would you be willing to hold your food scraps for the week and then dump them in the ocean?
2) Would you be willing to compost anyway in your garden despite vermin?
3) Would you only compost if there was a big machine that did it for you and you didn't have to worry about the affects?
Food for thought... literally but check out The Clean Bin Project for a little more insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment