This blogs intent is to provide a living journal of our experience raising our children on boats. Please ENJOY, COMMENT and SHARE!!!







Thursday 24 November 2011

Giving Thanks

In the spirit of Thanksgiving (although we are in Bermuda and do not technically celebrate the American holiday) I would like to post all the things I am thankful for.
First of all, I think its hard to make a list like this right now as last year was the worst year of my life and therefore everything I have been blessed with this year is that much more special including all the things I have always taken for granted.
Last year, the loss we suffered was unexplainable.  It seemed that the whole year was plagued with death.  My great Auntie Lilly who lived up the hill from us growing up passed early on in the year.  Although it was for sure her time to go it still hurt.  Then came my lil brother Dan who lived in the apt. under my parents house most of my childhood.  That was sudden and more than hard to comprehend.  Soon after we began to loose our second child, the miscarriage was long and drawn out lasting the entire summer. Loosing something of your own, that you carry never heals.  The last and biggest blow was Mark's 22 year old brother Adam.  He died in October and it still amazes me that we actually deal with it everyday when really the amount that we suffered that year would explain any odd and out of the ordinary behavior of any of us.  But somehow you go on.  Our lives will never be the same after that year but somehow that was the plan and we must live on for our beautiful family.
This year I am first grateful for my beautiful family.  Mark is an incredible partner who has the strength of 1,000 men.  He knows me better than I know myself and usually before I can catch myself.  He is an incredible father and I am more than lucky to have him in my life.  Marlena is the most precious little girl anyone could have.  She is compassionate, beautiful, smart, and will for sure be successful.  She is the light of my life and is the reason I get up everyday.  Jacob was the sweetest blessing all year.  He has been here before I am sure and teaches me everyday about the world that he deserves.  He pushes me to be more that I am and motivates me to be better.  What a gorgeous boy!
I am secondly thankful for my friends.  My friends that have stood by me in my toughest times.  My friends that have without fail answered the phone, flown in as soon as they could, come over without needing to be asked and of course told me when I am being a complete idiot.  It is so true that until you have been to the bottom you will never know who will sit there with you.  I know now and I am thankful for them everyday.
Thirdly I am thankful for my family.  They love me anyway even when I give them a run for their money.  My parents should be given extra props for putting up with all that I throw at them so well.  Really who would still put claim to a daughter who lived on a boat, had two children out of wedlock, teaches public school after a pricey private education, grew dreadlocks, and then decided to move back on a boat with two kids?! They have the patience of saints!
Next I am thankful for my new family, Mark's sister who recently married and my 'in-laws' who technically are not.  They all show great support with the children and I am forever having to explain to people why out 'nana' is not for hire!  My new family also includes all of Adam's wonderful friends who have reached out to us and allowed us to know an Adam we didn't see very often.
I am thankful for the beautiful island that I live on, for the beautiful little community I am a part of that my children get to grow up in.  I am thankful for the love Marine and Ports shows me everyday... today in fact the stopped a meeting just to say hi as Jacob and I passed by on our daily walk LOL
All in all I am blessed!  So Happy Thanksgiving to all my American followers out there... and everyone else who is too blessed to be stressed....
Not sure if that last statement is entirely true. LOL tomorrow will post about the laundry 'situation and the rain that intrudes on my chores'... stress still happens, I suppose its just how we handle it. When you put it into perspective of all the things to be thankful for there really isn't all that much to stress about.

No comments:

Post a Comment