This blogs intent is to provide a living journal of our experience raising our children on boats. Please ENJOY, COMMENT and SHARE!!!







Monday 7 November 2011

Age Is Just A Number...

and your only as old as you feel!
I really think sometimes I have age confusion.  I really have to think about how old I am for one but also on any given day I range in how old I actually feel.
Sometimes I feel like a teen mom, especially when I drive Marley to school in my sporty little car with its pumping stereo.  The only reason I haven't gotten a vanity stripe down the middle to make it look more like a mini coupe is because I don't think 'mommies with bills to pay' should waste their money on that.  But I think if I could I would LOL  It's also probably too small for two kids, but I like to convince myself not, even when I have to squash a passenger between the baby seat and car seat in the back because the stroller takes up the front seat because it doesn't fit in the trunk!  Its also usually when I am attending any kind of child function that I feel too young to be a mommy of two, but now that I have made a new group of mommy friends I think this feeling will fade.
Sometimes I feel even younger, this is usually when i'm at the gas station, no one else in the car.  I always feel like i'm just 16 and have run to the gas station on an errand for my mum or dad.  I don't know why, maybe its a memory I have but when I am alone in the car playing the music I like instead of Raffe, I always feel 16 again.
Sometimes I feel like a real grown up.  Especially when I walk into a store and the items on my list are no longer chips, soda, and a magazine but instead; formula, milk, bread, hair dye, mydol, and go on throw in a diet soda!
Sometimes I still feel like i'm in college; this is when i'm cooking dinner and jamming to some sweet reggae music as I cook.  This is also when I get really excited in the summer about the various shows or when I get together with the girls for a 'girls brunch'.
My favorite age is what I am right now... 28 (had to think about it) and I don't feel a number but instead like a real mommy.  Weather is gently humming High Tide or Low Tide to Jacob as he drifts off in the boppy pillow or chanting and dancing to One Love with Marley before bath on the top of our lungs in the saloon.  We laughed ourselves silly with her at dinner because she put so many peas in her mouth that Mark had to tell her to stop and her reply was "its okay daddy, if there's too many you can always spit them out!"  Then we waited for the water heater to heat up and danced to a selection of classic reggae vibes that she already knows by heart.  Jacob takes part in it all just as she did at his age by being gently rocked and swung in the middle of it all.
At the end of the day i'm sure I will feel twice my actual age, icing my knee and staring at the lines and black circles of sleeplessness that are around my eyes.  But no matter how many lines come I know I want to feel like this... 28 and a mommy all the time, for the rest of my life.  LOVE

1 comment:

  1. your = used to describe something belonging to you
    you're = you are

    Jenny!! you're needing to review your grammar!

    Otherwise, lovely entry though. I was thinking Marley was gonna spray all the peas out in a spirt of laughter!

    ReplyDelete