This blogs intent is to provide a living journal of our experience raising our children on boats. Please ENJOY, COMMENT and SHARE!!!







Tuesday 15 November 2011

Battle with the Bimini

Before I start.. you all should know I WON! :)

This morning we were finally well organized.  Maybe because daddy was left in charge last night or maybe because I had 3 hours to prepare this morning but we made the ferry on time with all of our belongings and children!  I went to bed last night with a terrible tooth ache and woke for the 4am feed to a very happy and active baby who refused to go back to bed.  Never mind the ferry was late then Jacob did a massive poo as we arrived into Hamilton and then proceeded to perform some projectile vomit for all to see on the ferry back! Haha and there I thought it was going to be a smooth ride.
This is not his poo face! 

I arrived home and quickly bathed and fed my little munchkin before his nap (he was exhausted as he too had been up since 4am!)  I then got on top of the many projects I have been leaving for 'while i'm off with Jacob'.  Managed to vacuum and get the Stingrays newsletter done before lunch.

After lunch I figured i'd tackle putting the bimini back up.  We have a great bimini that covers our companionway and provides shade over the main hatch.  In the recent bad weather we had taken it down as it is old and would easily tear in the winds.  The first time we attempted to put it up after buying the boat we really struggled and since it has been a challenge to beat the time before!  I figure myself fairly good at packing and things of that sort however puzzles of the engineering nature do stump me.  I can never figure out if I have it backwards and which part zips into what.  Because you have to put in on, on the boat its hard to see the 'big picture' while you are doing it.
Anyway I got going while Jacob continued to nap.  Amazing what that child can sleep through.  After much cursing, a few straddle positions that my old gym teacher would be proud of, many clunks on the head with the heavy metal poles I managed to get it up.  There is always one point that I am ready to give up, this is when I am pulling the back pole into the middle pole to try and get the zipper to line up even though i'm not sure it is the actual zip that goes together.  Then somehow it all clicks and it slides into place perfectly.  I always hope that the people on the dock only catch that moment as they walk by instead of the circus mishap that is actually putting the bimini back on!
Planning for a beautiful night of evening cruising with friends :)

No comments:

Post a Comment