This blogs intent is to provide a living journal of our experience raising our children on boats. Please ENJOY, COMMENT and SHARE!!!







Monday 4 June 2012

Adam is 24

On May 29th Adam would have turned 24.  It is impossible not to recognise this even though he is no longer with us. But what do you do? Keeping having ceremonies and reliving the fact that he is not here over and over? Try to hide from the day let it pass and maybe forget? Neither can be done.  We found a mix this year but as the years add on it scares me to think that eventually I will be alive for more years that he has been gone than his own age when he dies.

On the Sunday May 27th Mark's dad made a compass to be laid in front of the bench we dedicated to Adam out at Coopers Island in October.  We gathered as a small group of his friends and family and Malcolm Kirkland said some very moving words about both him and Vershons loss to this world.  True words as that is what haunts me more about Adam than anything. Not our own pain and suffering as a family for the loss of him but the fact that there will be no one else able to access his amazing leadership, humbleness, and knowledge.  The fact that he is not here to guide Marley and Jacob hurts more than any wound, but that he will also never guide another student on the Spirit just aches.  However I did share with Malcolm (who I believe also feels that same hurt) my experience sailing on the Spirit for the first time after Adam with the Clearwater boys.  Having them tie that one handed bowline made me believe in his power even in death.  I sure as hell didn't teach it to them; someone was there guiding them without a doubt.

 
The compass laid in front of the bench that reads "Live for yourself you live in vain; live for others you live again" and Adams friends behind the bench at Coopers Island.



It was a nice afternoon and my favourite part was after the dedication of it taking the kids down to the beach for a swim.  Marley is such a fish already and Jacob throws his face into the water every chance he gets!
Heading out for the day
On Adam's actually birthday the Tuesday we decided to take the boat out with the kids and spend some spontaneous family time together. We picked up nana in flats and then made it under the bridge into Castle Harbour.  We went for a swim and Mark and Marley had some really great quality adventure time out on Castle Island together. We picked up Pa and Abbie and went back to the beach and let the kids play around in the sand and water for a while. Jacob just had a ball!
After dropping Abbie and Pa back we headed out to Adams spot where Nana, Mark and Marley all hopped in for a swim.  There my girl was 2 miles off shore, 100 fathoms deep swimming around with her boat and rubber ducky. She is my heart and soul, and Adam lives through that every day. Bless.

2 miles out, 100 fathoms deep May 29th, 2012
We came back through St. Georges Harbour and saw the Old Town dotted with transit yachts. This is our dream, and its easy to loose sight.  To travel even at least for a summer through the islands with the kids, doing crossings.  In St. Georges there were at least 5 of the yachts with children on board.  One 40 footer even had 3! UUhhhggg why aren't we cruising yet? I know the answer to this and soon enough we will be and for now we are still living the dream more than most so I know I must be patience.  Not one of my strengths but I will be because when we go it will be amazing!
In St. Georges I also bumped into one of my first students ever as a teacher. An incredible young man who overcame many many challenges.  He was doing great and had a positive outlook on his future and the world. He again inspired me to get back to school, as hard as it is to give up this part of the dream for now. I know a difference can be made and I want to be a part of it. He reminded me of this. And so on it goes....
Coming into St. Georges Harbour

No comments:

Post a Comment