This blogs intent is to provide a living journal of our experience raising our children on boats. Please ENJOY, COMMENT and SHARE!!!







Thursday 9 January 2014

Sick Day

I would like to clarify here that when your child is sick and you are 'off' with them this does not mean you 'have the day off'. In some cases this may actually be more work than your regular 9 to 5. Today Jacob woke in the early hours of the morning with the most raging fever. So much so that he had come to sleep with us but then I had to put him back in his own bed in the middle of the morning because our bed was getting like an inferno. As boys go his flu symptoms turned quickly into 'man flu' and all he wanted were his mommy's cuddles. So I stayed home with him for today as he was so unhappy and inconsolable.

This had its pros and cons. I love every extra chance I get to spend with my children. Everyone who knows me knows I would much rather be a S.A.H.M. and my year off with Jacob is something I will cherrish forever. I also was selfishly excited about the chance to have a 'catch up' day at home and organize and put away a few of the things I never got around to over the Christmas break. With a sick mamma's boy however this is almost impossible. While we did get 3 loads of laundry, 2 sink fulls of dishes, and a little tidying completed I fear that the boat actually looks more of a mess than before the day started and there is no evidence of my 'day off'.

What mostly ended up happening was lots of movie watching, story book reading, endless cuddles and stroking of his back. He also had one potty accident, wasted a bowl of Cheerios and milk, a cheese sandwich, a banana, countless cups of milk and water, spilled one cup of water all over the couch, and finished a box of wipes all by 3:00pm. While he napped I was able to put away the few loads of laundry he had helped me with and selfishly checked Pinterest for a longer period of time than I had given myself but then after her school finished we added Marley to the mix. This ended up adding another movie, 4 more stories, locking ourselves out of the head, and a great big poo surprise from Jacob.

Locking ourselves out of the head was probably the funniest event of the day. Our working head is attached to the now kids room but also has an access through the engine room. There is a tiny lock on the side of the handle that I now know if switched open will lock the door from the inside. I'm not sure how the locked got switched but when I laid Jacob down for a little rest while I helped Marley with her homework the door shut and locked. When I went to check on Jacob as I usually do I went to open that door to let a little light in rather than turning on the main and bright lights in their room. I knew we had a problem when the handle nearly fell off. I calmed him and went back out to Malrey pondering what my next move would be. Mark was going to be late. Marley would need to use the bathroom before bed. I walked back in and tugged on the handle a bit but quickly figured out what had happened. I called Mark and let him know our predicament. And for the same reason I instantly panicked because he wasn't home; he quickly found us a solution. But if that didn't work I was to call him back and he would come home. I let Marley know while she was finishing her homework that I had a very important and special job for her to do when she had finished. Her response was "oh no what now? Not again!". I'm not sure what previous job she had been refering to but I was worried now that she wouldn't agree to help me out. Of course by this time just like when you were a kid playing hide-and-go-seek the urge to pee came suddenly. She finishd her math and I made a big production about a secret task she must accomplish before she began her writing homework. This got her interest. I took her to the engine room door and explained the problem. She, like Mark, instantly saw our plan of action. I demonstrated how to crawl through the engine room being careful not to pull any wires or knock any hoses. I unlocked the hatch that enters into the shower and away she went. One step in she promptly came back out asking to undress. There she was in her undershirt and underpants saving the day by crawling into the bathroom to unlock the door. I went around and stood on the other side of the bathroom door in the kids room. I heard her come through but then she stopped. She then exclaimed "I need to use the toilet!". I waited patiently while she finished her buisness then opened the door gracfully to let her frazzled anxious mother in. Oh this child!!! Mark's child for sure!

Marlena the hero busy at work on the ferry with her homework. She makes me so proud to be her mommy!

Mid way through the day Mark stopped by and reminded me that he would be working late tonight but that I was probably ok as I would have 'caught up on all my sleep'. He nearly got a ball of wet towels thrown at him and quickly disapeared back to work. The notion that a sick day is a day off is long gone once you have little ones to care for. But I wouldn't trade days like today home with them for any sleeping till noon days of the past ever.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment